Thursday, June 28, 2012

Stain Thursday

Nothing terribly exciting about today.  Woke up around 9am so I could do a load of laundry before we leave for the weekend.  I needed to wash my towels and sheets, hoping that would be the last step to get rid of the weird bug rash (which is gone now, thank goodness!).  The washer is tiny and super old, so I wasn't able to fit anything extra in like I had hoped.  Instead of paying to use the dryer, I just hung everything over the balcony to dry since it's so hot out.
Class was boring, as usual.  Although because we're generally past the basic review part, it is getting more interesting.  When class got out at 2 and we were ready to go home, we found out that the taxis were on strike for wanting higher wages.  This meant we had to take the bus back.   Public transportation here is very interesting, to say the least, and not just because of how crazy everyone drives.  First off, most of the buses don't have AC, just like everywhere else.  So packing a bus full to the point of almost literally overflowing of people who are hot and sweaty makes for one stinky and uncomfortable ride.  It was even worse today since people were forced to take the bus because of the taxi strike.  Took a nice nap, which I'm happy to say is becoming quite routine now, before heading to the center to shop with Erin.  Stopped by a few places, but all I bought was a necklace.  So proud of myself and my self restraint!  After shopping, we got some ice cream before exploring the center a little more.  The lady said the flavor I got was "cream and biscuits", which I finally figured out was cookies and cream haha.  It's so interesting to me that even though we were both speaking English, there was still a language barrier.
For dinner, a few of us girls decided to try a new place down a side street close to our apartment.  It was more of a sit down type place instead of the fast food joints that are along the main road.  We ordered an appetizer of grilled feta, and shared plates of pork cutlet and souvlaki (Greek meatballs).  It was so delicious, the people were so nice, and it was a good price, so I'm sure we'll go back again sometime.  I am gonna try and eat in a lot more this week; things add up so quickly money wise!  Came home and got ready before going out for the night.  We went as a big group to this place in the center called club Stain.  They passed out sparklers for everyone to light at the same time, it was so cool!  Here's a picture of Erin and I at the club, it was so packed that we had to stand on the speakers!  Notice my new necklace :)  It was a blast despite hot unbelievably hot it got in there.


This weekend is our trip to the island of Corfu... updates and pictures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment