Sunday, June 17, 2012

Lazy Day in Thessaloniki



Here are a few pictures from last night.  I don't have a camera here besides my phone, so I'll steal them from other people whenever I can!  One is a group shot, although not everyone is in it.  We had a huge group of at least 20 with us at dinner!  Did family style with so much yummy food and wine, and even complementary dessert!  Lots of places give you free things when you go with a large group :)




Today was a slow day.  Lots of laying around and catching up on sleep, which was nice because I have a feeling that won't be happening anymore.  Woke up around noon, got ready, and my roommate, Lauren, and I went to get some lunch.  We got some weird looks because apparently this was a very early lunch.  I tried my first gyro!  It was super delicious.  It had tzatziki sauce, pork, and french fries (which are cooked in olive oil and are yummy, even though I usually don't like fries) all wrapped in pita.  One thing I'm quickly noticing is how oversized the portions are, but most of the locals seem to eat all of it!  Probably because meals last for at least 2 hours.  Usually things close down from 3-5, kind of like a siesta in Spain, so I took a nice nap then.
Four of us went to the boardwalk again, but looked around for longer this time.  It's such a beautiful view, and there were lots of street vendors with food and jewelry, but mostly books, which seemed a little odd but still cool.  Everyone else in the program arrived, so I met most of the new students.  I'm usually so good with names but there's so many people to meet all at once I'm having such a hard time!  Around 8:00, 15 of us girls went out for drinks, then some went out downtown since it was their first night here.  Lauren, Caroline, and I went to Noodle Bar for dinner around 10:30; still getting used to this late eating thing.  Nothing fantastic, but will be a nice change of pace if I ever get tired of Greek food.  Also, it has A/C!  Kind of a big deal around here.  Calling it an early night since we have orientation early tomorrow morning.
Sorry that these are totally uninteresting, and that I don't know how to make it look pretty.


No comments:

Post a Comment