Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bug Invasion

I wake up literally every morning covered in new bug bites.  I currently a minimum of 20 all over my body, including 4 on my face.  How does that even happen?!  That's a new one for me.  I started getting them on the beach trip to Halkidiki last weekend, but I knew they were an issue there.  I bought bug spray before that trip but forgot to put it on until it was time for bed.  Saturday afternoon in Halkidiki, I noticed a terrible rash completely covering my arms and legs, but just assumed it was heat rash.  So for the rest of that day I put on extra sunscreen and relaxed in the shade.  This morning, Wednesday, I woke up with the same rash.  It was actually really cool Tuesday night, so a heat rash didn't seem to add up.  It was when I remembered that I had used the bug spray for the night all over my body and even on my sheets that I put two and two together and assumed it wasn't a heat rash, but an allergic reaction to the bug spray.  Which means I get to choose between getting eaten alive by bugs in my sleep, or wake up looking like a leper... Awesome.  I'm gonna wake up a little early in the morning and go see if the supermarket has a different brand and try that.  But until then I'm taking Benedryl and trying to sleep it off; it usually goes away fairly quickly. (PLEASE don't freak out about this!  It doesn't hurt or itch or anything besides look really ugly.  I promise I'm fine :) ).

So besides the fact that I look like a diseased child, today was pretty normal.  Woke up earlier than usual to take the free shuttle to school, and slept in the basement of the library until it was time for class.  Our group presentation went pretty well, it was no big deal really.  Even though the material is difficult, I've heard that he's the kind of professor that is fairly laid back and just wants your participation more than anything.  We usually get about a 20 minute break the last hour of class, which is nice and helps keep me awake.  After class, Erin and I grabbed some lunch pastries at a little bakery just around the corner from our apartment.  Besides chicken, not too sure what else it had in it, but it was flaky and yummy.  Lots of carbs in the Greek cuisine, so delicious and dangerous.  Took some medicine and a nap to try and help the rash go down (it helped a little but not totally gone).  A bunch of girls were craving burgers, so we ventured over by the airport to the local Bennigan's.  Yes, Bennigan's.  I don't like that place in America, so I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea in a foreign country.  Ordered a bacon cheeseburger, but apparently bacon here means ham.  *sigh*.  It was not worth it.  I'm home now and am doing some laundry the ghetto way, aka in the sink, before I take another dose of Benedryl and hopefully sleep off the rest of this stupid rash.

I love being in this lively city, but am always very grateful for the weekends that are full of travel and fun.  Much needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment