Monday, June 18, 2012

Orientation, Day 1

Although it sounds pretty boring, orientation was actually fun and interesting!  I think I learned more in this one day than I have the other days combined.  My roommate, Lauren, and I woke up a few minutes early to head down to a nearby bakery to grab some breakfast before everyone loaded the bus to campus.  It's a pretty long drive, and would be about a 40 minute walk.  Good thing the public transportation system here is fairly reliable and runs from about 5am to midnight.  We spent the day going over everything from faculty/ staff introductions, housing orientation, an acculturation workshop, safety/ conduct/ medical issues, financial needs, academic orientation, overview of student activities, and tech support; normal orientation stuff.  We also had a "survival Greek" lesson, where we went over basic Greek words and phrases that will be helpful during our stay here.  This was definitely the hardest part of the day, maybe even the entire trip, because Greek is considered one of the hardest languages to learn.  Although I'm still struggling like a true foreigner, I'm picking up a few things here and there.  I'm trying, though :)  Before we left, we went on a campus tour.  Turns out, the entire campus is called Anatolia, which includes an elementary school, high school, and the college I'm attending, all of which are American schools.  The campus is big, and on a giant hill, which means lots, and I mean lots of stairs.  We then made a quick stop at Ikea where I was finally able to pick up some sheets; I had been sleeping on the mattress pad for the past two nights.  Then it was time for a quick power nap before heading out for Greek night!

Around 9:30, we went to a restaurant downtown in the center (in Greek it's called the cendro, pronounced ken-dro... see I am learning!), which was fabulous as always.  After about 3 delicious appetizers, the usual around here, the main course was served.  It consisted of pita, Greek meatballs, chicken covered in tomato sauce and cheese, and pork in some sort of yummy sauce.  We were also served white wine, which everyone mixes with Coca Cola.  There's usually someone sitting outside the restaurant playing live music, and since the ACT faculty and staff had come with us, there was dancing!  Everyone claps to the music and yells "oopa!" and has a really good time :)  3 hours later, the entire group headed out to a bar called Monroe Backyard where everyone splits drinks and snacks.  The Greeks stay out super late, something this girl is gonna have to get used to!


Some interesting things I have learned about Greece so far:
-People here don't feel productive during the hottest part of the day, so there is law required quiet time from 3-5pm, when most businesses will close and everyone goes home to take a nap.  I have a feeling this is why things happen so late in the evenings.  There is also mandatory quiet time from 11pm- 7am.  Quiet time is only in residential areas where you will disturb people sleeping; the main streets don't have to follow these rules.
-The sun rises super early, around 5:30am, and sets super late, around 9:30pm.


I know I have so many more stories to share, but by the time I get home at night and have time to blog, I've forgotten everything I was planning to say.  Thank you for being so patient with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment